DWI & DUI in Albuquerque and Bernalillo, Sandoval, and Valencia Counties
Often used synonymously, the terms DWI and DUI both refer to drunk driving. DWI is an acronym for driving while impaired and DUI stands for driving under the influence. However, the legal term recognized by New Mexico courts and Albuquerque DWI attorneys is DWI. If arrested for DWI, Rasheed & Associates, P.C. draws on extensive experience from handling DWI cases and can provide aggressive legal representation.
When facing DWI in Albuquerque
Obtaining a knowledgeable, experienced Albuquerque DWI attorney is your most pressing concern when facing DWI charges. Previously, as a state prosecutor, Mr. Rasheed handled up to 100 DWI cases a week, which brings valuable skills and insight to your case. Mr. Rasheed can answer all of your questions in an organized and insightful manor.
DWI penalties increase dramatically based on repeat offenses or other aggravating factors. A second DWI offense conviction can result in 364 days, almost a year, in jail.
Penalties for subsequent offenses are harsher. Fourth offense conviction carries maximum penalties of 18 months. By the time prosecutors convict for the fifth, sixth, and seventh offense, defendants can receive maximum sentences of two, two and a half, and three years respectively. These potential penalties are assuming no aggravating factors, such as blood alcohol content (BAC) above .16 percent or a DWI accident causing injury or homicide, which make potential penalties even harsher.
For DWI vehicular homicide, if convicted, a defendant could face up to six years in prison with four years extra prison time for each prior DWI conviction within the previous 10 years.
Aggressively defending against DUI conviction in Albuquerque
Defendants facing DUI charges require aggressive defense in:
- Motor Vehicle Division hearings (license suspension or revocation)
- Vehicle seizure hearings (vehicles seizure in repeated DWI offenses)
- Criminal court cases (jail and fines)
At Rasheed & Associates, our Albuquerque DUI attorneys look for weaknesses in the prosecution’s case and devise effective defense strategies to protect your rights. Our strategies may include:
- Lack of probable cause to stop or detain
- Lack of DWI evidence (no weaving in lanes, lack of coordination, or intoxicated appearance)
- No evidence or witness to alleged intoxicated or impaired driving
- Failure to adhere to BAC test standards
- Non-standard administration of field sobriety tests
- No proper advisement about penalties for failing to take a chemical test
- Improper calibration or maintenance of the breath intoxilyzer used
- Inaccurate BAC reading due to failure to observe before testing (no belching, eating, or other factors prior to test)
Protect your rights
Call our Albuquerque DWI lawyers at 505-847-5205 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.